Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Oxfringe

=










I've been busy nosying around for details of this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival. I've never been and it sounds really exciting; the only problem is it's just so far away. Imagine my delight to discover that Oxford has its very own Oxfringe festival, and that it starts tomorrow! From April 1st to April 13th, Oxford will host a spectrum of musical, theatrical and literary events in venues around the city.

I don't know how I've managed to miss it in previous years; probably inconveniently timed holidays to exotic destinations (I wish!), but it's been running since 2007, albeit in a much smaller, more literature-focused form. Last year's event ran alongside the Sunday Times Literary Festival, which was spectacular, but being a bit of a literary geek, I didn't see the comedy and music events of the Fringe. This year, however, I'm informed, and I feel it my duty to pass on the info:

- For the programme of events, visit: http://oxfringe.com/programme/

- Events are spread throughout theatres in Oxford, including the Oxford Playhouse, Burton Taylor Studio, Old Fire Station Studio and the North Wall.

- Most events are pretty cheap and some are free.

- Check out the 'Oxfringe Outside' event this Saturday (4th April) from 10am to 4pm. There will be music, circus skills and performers, previews of some of the festival's shows and an assortment of market stalls, all in the dramatic setting of Oxford Castle.

- The headline performer is John Hegley, who offers an impressive combination of poetry, music and comedy. Sounds too intriguing to miss!

No comments: