Friday, May 9, 2008

May Merriment

Yes, I know I'm late, but hey, it's officially summer now. We're allowed to be slack about things now the sun is (sort of) out, the days are longer and summer holidays are well within ice-cream licking distance.

So, yes, May Morning. It was great fun. I went last year and for some reason got up at 4:30. Wise from the memories of yawning constantly for the following week, I got up at *whisper* 5:30am this year and trotted off to Magdalen College to hear the choir sing and join in the general merriment. The bridge was blocked off after the events of a few years ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/2991093.stm although people jumped in anyway, so I really don't know why they bother. I think it makes it more of a challenge now, more tempting.

What was also annoying was that the police had set up barriers so anyone arriving late couldn't get anywhere near Magdalen. Still, I was cheered up by free hot chocolate from G&Ds (at that time in the morning I don't actually care if it's an imposter plying me with drugs) and a cheery Morris dancer chap with a flashing smiley face badge on his hat.

The choir chirped, the dancers doci-doed and we ate breakfast unhealthily early.
Eccentric? Yes. Fun? Yes. Would I do it again next year? No way. Have I been saying that every year? Yes...

No comments: