Saturday, May 17, 2008

Wheels

I have a confession to make. I am about to join the ranks of the great wheeled. Yes, that's right, the 'murderous' car drivers who I rant about when I'm on my bike, the polluting motorheads who roar down the road when I'm trying to sleep, who honk their horns in a medley that rivals Girls Aloud in its lack of musicality.

Oxford is definitely not a car-friendly place. Hideously complicated one-way systems, massive queues in rush hour, suicidal cyclists, drunk students, road works, bus lanes and, of course the parking...

The Park and Ride is all well and good, but those bus queues can get ridiculous, and it's no good if you want to stay several days. The same applies for local buses: fantastic for travelling around Oxford itself and the nearby villages or Bicester, but if you want to go further afield you're often looking at very convoluted bus journeys or expensive trains that go through London. So, I'm taking the step. Prepare to see me whizzing around in my Porsche (well, hey, this is the internet - you'll never know!), the sun on my back, my hair flying gracefully backwards as I whizz past future world leaders and the great thinkers of the day. Or, more likely, swearing profusely as I once again fail to parallel park, choking on bus fumes as I get completely lost in roads that are suddenly restricted when you're not on a bike... I'll keep you updated!

No comments: